Monday, May 4, 2009

Scrapfest Class Project













This is one of the classes I taught for Scrapfest. It was super fun and also gave me a chance to reflect on the WHY I scrap. This is a little tiered hanger that I put on my bathroom mirror so that I see it every morning when I am getting ready. I liked this project so much, I did a different one for all 4 bathrooms in my house. All variations on the same theme. MY BLESSINGS.

The WHY!- I do it as a CREATIVE outlet. I do it to document everyday events that I want to look back and remember. I do it so my girls will say,"MAMA, what in the world was I doing in that picture??" For an opportunity to share our history with them. I do it to teach my girls how to be creative, artistic, thoughtful. I do it to leave a LEGACY. So many reasons. Recently I have had some things going on in my life and have heard someone say that I am letting scrapping take the place of my PRIORITIES. I really had to question that. I have come to KNOW that that remark was made out of jealousy and ignorance. Scrapbooking is something I NEVER thought I would do. I was asked to join groups several times and declined, the thought of gluing little pics. to construction paper made me gag. Then I did a little research... From there a whole new world opened. Scrapbooking has saved my sanity. I live in a VERY small town and have had nothing in common with anybody here. For five years I did nothing to stimulate my creativity. Through Scrapping I have made lifelong friends, built my self-esteem, challenged the limits of my creativity, and brought an art into my home that my kids are loving to do WITH me! I am teaching them how to document their thoughts and teaching them to say exactly what they were feeling about a moment, and they are able to see and read MY thoughts.

The Result!- The scrapper world has been such an awesome place to meet people and get to know why others enjoy this art. To share laughs and tears, to support a cause. This weekend Jessica Sprague said to do what you do with intention. Don't let anything get in your way. I am there. I am so thankful for this weekend. I knew GOD was going to use it to reveal something important to me and of course, he did. Thanks ladies for all of your hard work and attention to detail! It was a BLAST!

4 comments:

  1. Finally! So glad you updated with your latest projects! I cannot wait to hear all about your weekend. I know you had a great time doing what you love! ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. AB, you couldn't have said it any better. Everyone who scrapbooks has a story to tell and document for their families. What took me a while to understand as a mom is that it makes me a better mom to have a hobby that I love. You have to make your interests a priority just like taking care of the kids and everything else. How wonderful that we have this creative outlet and we get to spend time with friends and family. Love, Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. AB - I agree with both you and K. Scrapbooking is not done in "place" of your family. It is done in "honor" of your family. How many times have you looked at pictures from your childhood and wished you knew more about the "moment"? Our children will not have to ask questions, they will just sit back and enjoy in the pictures and the stories you have told through our scrapbooking. I personally think I am a better mom since finding this hobby. Before scrapbooking, I had nothing for me. I felt as if my whole life was for my family and I felt drained. This has given me a creative outlet and something to look forward to. When a hobby brings you joy, you can't help but pass it on. And who do you pass it on to? Your family! We have a great group of friends and an awesome hobby to share with each other. And simply put in "Melissa" terminology... if you dont like it... bite me! LOVE YOU LOTS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't have said it better myself!!! It seems that it is ok for men to have a hobby but when you say "im going on a scrapbooking trip" SOME people look at you like you just said "Im going to cut my head off now". Like I tell my husband "If mama's not happy then nobody's happy". So, when's the next scrapbooking trip? stacy

    ReplyDelete